Summer Tick Prevention For Albany Residents And Pets◀ Back To Blog
July 12, 2018
To help protect yourself, your family, and your pets from coming into contact with these disease-spreading pests this summer season, the Albany pest control experts at Thomas Pest Services want to provide you with some easy-to-implement tick prevention tips. By taking the time to protect yourself and your pets from coming into contact with these blood-feeding pests, you can help to significantly reduce your chances of contracting a tick-borne illness!
Tick Prevention Tips Include:
- When spending time outdoors, make sure to use a tick repellant; it is also a good idea to wear long pants and closed-toe shoes.
- To deter ticks from crawling into your yard, place a crushed stone barrier around the perimeter of your lawn.
- Ticks like to hide in areas of tall grass and heavy vegetation where they can wait for a host to come along that they can attach themselves to. To combat this habit, keep your lawn cut short and trim back any overgrown vegetation away from the exterior of your home.
- Make sure that any firewood stored on your property is placed on pallets up off the ground and is stacked a gooddistance away from the exterior of your home.
- Help prevent wild animals from being attracted to your property by removing bird feeders from your property, making sure that compost bins are covered, and that all outdoor trash cans have locking lids on them.
- To protect your pets from ticks, place them on a quality tick preventative under the guidance of a veterinarian.
- To keep ticks out of your home and to avoid contracting a tick-borne disease, always perform a thorough check for ticks on yourself, your children and your pets after spending time outdoors.
Though the tick prevention tips mentioned above can help protect your family and pets from becoming a tick’s next blood meal, it is important to understand that the best solution to eliminate tick problems on your property is to put a professional tick management program into place.
At Thomas Pest Services, we provide a unique solution to ticks problems through the use of the Tick Box Tick Control System. This system works by attracting mice to bait stations that have been strategically placed around your property by our professionals; inside of these bait stations, mice, the most common wild animal that exposes people to ticks, are treated with an insecticide to kill any ticks that are currently feeding on them, all without harming the mice. To learn more about this inventive approach to controlling tick populations and how we can help limit your family’s exposure to ticks, contact Thomas Pest Services today!