What is lurking in your yard?◀ Back To Blog
March 27, 2014
As the weather continues to warm up, more time will be spent outside in your yards. This means it is time to think about insects and how they are hatching in our yards. Not only is it important to protect yourself and family from insects, but also your pets.
The main external parasites that are found on dogs (and sometimes cats) that should concern us are fleas, ticks and mosquitoes, because fleas can carry the disease organisms that cause anemia, bubonic plaque and tapeworm infection. Ticks are known to carry the organisms that cause Lyme disease, Rocky Mountain spotted fever and Tularemia ,which humans are susceptible to, as well as the protozoan that causes Piroplasmosis or canine Babesiosis and tick paralysis.
Mosquitoes are the newest enemy since they have been found to carry the heartworm microfilaria which they inject into animals when they feed. Originally, it was thought to be a condition exclusive to dogs, but now, veterinarians are looking at cats that are harboring heartworms.
Another disease transmitted by mosquitoes is West Nile encephalitis, which causes an inflammation of the brain. Humans can get this disease, although most people exposed will not show any symptoms. Those at most risk are more than 50 years of age, and those with compromised immune systems.
What prevention methods can you take?
- Clean up any trash or debris that collect water.
- Mosquitoes will breed in any puddle that lasts more than four days, so water in a birdbath or wading pool should be changed every two or three days.
- If you have a pond on your property, clean up around the edges of the pond and either aerate the water or stock the pond with fish that eat mosquito larvae.
- Keep your pet brushed and clean.
- Clean the environment where your pet sleeps or relaxes, whether indoors or outside.
- Some heartworm preventatives will break the lifecycle of fleas by preventing them from maturing, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.
- For outdoor control, cut tall grass, weeds and brush.
- Consult with a professional pest management company to treat your property for tick control.
- Ticks can be removed by using forceps and applying gentle steady pressure, pull the head straight out of the skin.
Thomas Pest Services, your local Albany NY pest control expert wants to protect your health, family, friends, children, pets and property from these scary critters. Thomas Pest Services, a local, family owned pest management company who specializes in mosquito and tick services seasonally and prior to events to reduce mosquito and tick populations. Contact us by phone 1-877-518-2847, email, twitter, or facebook for your free estimate and inspection today.