Spring Pests◀ Back To Blog
March 11, 2013
With the warm weather yesterday and today around Albany NY, who doesn’t have spring fever? As the ritual of spring cleaning nears with every slightly warmer and longer day, many homeowners will look to home organizational trends to kick start their list of projects. No matter which trends homeowners choose to take charge of their houses, it's important to ensure that any home care initiatives include pest prevention practices. Spring is a particularly crucial time to take proactive measures to pest-proof as the season's warmer weather serves as a wake-up call to a myriad of home-invading spring pests.
Some of the most common spring pests that will be emerging are termites, ants (especially odorous house ants, pavement ants and carpenter ants), springtails, cockroaches and spiders. According to Missy Henriksen of the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), what homeowners can expect to see this season depends largely on where they live and local weather conditions. "People who experienced milder winters are likely to see an early arrival of spring pests, since last year was one of the warmest winters on record and pests across the country emerged weeks, and even months, early," said Henriksen. "Those who experienced wet winters may have lingering moisture that may be creating pest-friendly environments within their homes."
In addition to minimizing clutter and organizing pantry shelves this spring, the NPMA suggests these important steps to prevent pests from feeling welcome in your home. Spring Pests
- Maintain a one-inch gap between soil and wood portions of a building.
- Keep mulch at least 15 inches from your home's foundation.
- Seal cracks along the bottom of the structure.
- Keep tree branches and plants trimmed back from the house.
- Screen windows and doors.
- Keep trash containers clean and sealed.
- Don't allow dirty dishes to accumulate in the sink.
- Wipe counters and vacuum floors regularly.
- Remove remaining food after your pet is done eating.
- Check under sinks for puddles, and fix any leaks or drips.
- Use a dehumidifier for damp basements and crawl spaces.
Common insects to find around your home include termites, ants, springtails, roaches and spiders. If you suspect a pest infestation, contact your Saratoga NY pest removal professional to remedy your pest problem. Over the counter products are risky and often ineffective harming you, your family, co-workers, pets and/or plants. Spring pests are common in the Ballston Spa NY area, but if they become a nuisance, your Clifton Park pest control professional can help!
Thank you to the National Pest Management Association for this information.