Increased Travel in Saratoga...Increased Bed Bugs!◀ Back To Blog
July 20, 2012
Today kicks off the start of the Saratoga Race Course season! I remember as a child spending time at the track with family and friends laughing, picnicking and picking out my favorite horse’s name. Over the next 40 days the Saratoga area will be buzzing with tourism, according to the Saratogian.
Cindy Hollowood, Holiday Inn general manager and chairwoman of the New York State Hospitality and Tourism Association said, “We are very optimistic that our business will grow through the remainder of the year, particularly during the racing season.” For the first time in four years, the hotel has increased its rates by 5 percent. Saratoga County’s occupancy rate for the first half of 2012 is 62.7 percent, up 16 percent for the same timeframe a year ago. For the past full year, occupancy is running at 67.3 percent, a 12 percent increase.
Many things can and do go wrong on vacations, from lost luggage to a mean sunburn, but nothing can ruin your vacation like bed bugs. Bed bugs feed on human blood and are best known for their uncanny hitchhiking abilities. So before any of these pests ride home in your suitcase, read how to prevent bed bugs and avoid brining bed bugs home. Prevention is the best means to protect yourself and family while traveling to avoid bed bugs. Bed Bugs don’t differentiate between a 5-star hotel and cheap, low amenity motel.
Bed Bug Travel Tips:
- Vacuum suitcases after returning from a vacation.
- Check your sheets for tell-tale blood spots.
- Consider bringing a large plastic trash bag to keep your suitcase in during hotel stays.
- Carry a small flashlight to assist you with quick visual inspections.
- Never bring second-hand furniture, especially mattresses and box springs, into a home without thoroughly examining for signs of a bed bug infestation. You might consider having a pest control professional inspect the furniture as it is difficult to detect an infestation without training.
- Regularly inspect areas where pets sleep for signs of bed bugs.
- Bed bugs are elusive creatures, so it is imperative to seek professional pest control assistance to address an infestation.
If you believe you may have an infestation of bed bugs, if contact property management immediately if you are in an apartment and if you are in a personally owned home it is highly recommended you contact your Saratoga bed bug removal specialist as soon as possible. Identifying the presence of bed bugs and starting service as soon as possible are important steps to make the process go as quickly and efficiently as possible. For homeowners in Ghent, Schenectady, Albany, Troy, Saratoga and Lake George, we offer effective bed bug services to help solve your bed bug problem. Contact Thomas Pest Services today, for more information about bed bugs or Albany bed bug treatments. Thank you to National Pest Management Association for tips and information regarding bed bugs.