Home Remedies for Bee Stings◀ Back To Blog
May 22, 2013
Ouch! Did you just get stung by a bee? It can hurt, but there are some ways to reduce the symptoms. Yesterday our blog provided first aid for a bee sting and today is followed by a list of home remedies for bee stings and their effectiveness.
Home Remedy 1: Ice
- Apply ice wrapped in fabric to the bee sting for 20 minutes.
- The symptoms should disappear almost immediately, and stop bothering you for about 5 hours before you need to reapply. The coldness constricts blood vessels (which slows the flow of venom-tainted blood) and numbs the pain and itching.
Home Remedy 2: Toothpaste
- Apply toothpaste on the bee sting. The tingling action will make you feel like you're scratching the itch, which is relieving.
- Wait 15 minutes for the symptoms to be alleviated.
- Reapply in 5 hours.
Home Remedy 3: Vinegar, Baking Soda, and Meat Tenderizer
- Mix vinegar, baking soda, and meat tenderizer into a paste.
- Meat tenderizer contains an enzyme called papain that can break down toxins in bee venom.
- This mixture will make you smell like an antipasto sampler.
- Apply it to the bee sting. It will fizz.
- Wait 20 minutes for the symptoms to subside; they should disappear about an hour after application.
- Reapply after several hours.
Home Remedy 4: Calamine Lotion with Analgesic
- Apply a calamine lotion with analgesic (e.g. Caladryl). You'll start feeling a soothing tingle.
- Wait 45 minutes for the symptoms to be relieved.
- Reapply 4 hours later. The symptoms will return suddenly, unlike with other remedies.
Home Remedy 5: Hydrocortisone Cream
- Apply maximum strength hydrocortisone cream on the sting site. It'll dry visibly white.
- Expect the symptoms to be slightly relieved.
- Reapply after four hours, when the symptoms return full-force.
Home Remedy 6: Honey
- Apply honey on the bee sting.
- Expect the cool and soothing sensation to alleviate the symptoms slightly for 30 minutes.
Home Remedy 7: Antihistamines
- Apply an antihistamine cream to the bee sting. Most creams are odorless and dry invisibly, which can be beneficial depending on your situation.
- Expect the symptoms to be relieved slightly for about 30 minutes to an hour.
Home Remedy 8: Benzocaine Sticks
- Rub the stick against the bee sting. The Benzocaine deadens nerve endings, and the sticks are convenient to carry, although the relief is brief.
- Expect slight relief for 15 minutes.
Home Remedy 9: Deodorant
- Apply a deodorant (such as Ban Roll-On) on the site.
- Expect for the symptoms to be displaced, rather than relieved. The area immediately surrounding the sting will be soothed, but the area surrounding that might get worse.
Home Remedy 10: Raw Onion
- Hold a slice of raw onion on your sting at your own risk.
- Prepare for the possibility that the symptoms will get worse, and you'll smell.
Getting rid of bees and other stinging insects can be difficult. Do it yourself control methods are not always effective to get rid of bees especially if you experience a bee sting. Thomas Pest Services offers effective pest control services in Ballston Spa NY and surrounding areas to get rid of bees, ants and other general crawling/flying insects. Thomas Pest Services’ provides services to resolve and prevent bees from being a nuisance with their trained and licensed pest professionals.
Nothing makes stinging insects’ like bees and yellow jackets angrier than when someone disturbs or destroys its home. Throughout the spring, summer months in the Capital Region battling pests of all kinds will keep the professionals at Thomas Pest Services busy. When you contact our office, we will arrange a free inspection to identify areas of concerns and provide recommendations, treatment options and pricing for those bee services. Prevent bee stings from harming you, your family or pets. Contact Thomas Pest Services for a proactive and green approach to solving your bee problems.
Warning: Consult your physician if you are noticing more severe symptoms to stings.