Getting Rid of Ants in the House◀ Back To Blog
February 7, 2013
An ant in the house is an ant, right? No, not quite. The Albany NY area is home to many types of ants from carpenter ants, odorous house ants, pavement ants, pharaoh ants and acrobat ants to name a few. Many Clifton Park NY homeowners will call with tiny ants in the kitchen or sugar ants on the counter, which are odorous house ants. Odorous house ants are the most common ant species encountered in homes.
Odorous House Ants:
- House ants are small (1 millimeter in length), dark brown or black in color.
- Are often found nesting in walls, beneath the floor, near heaters, water pipes, under carpets inside.
- Odorous house ants travel in trails, foraging both day and night.
- Odorous house ants are commonly found in bathrooms and kitchens (moisture). It is common to see them after rainy weather.
- Food Source: Odorous house ants prefer sweet items.
- Odorous house ants smell like rotten coconut when their bodies are crushed.
If you have encountered ants in the house, contact Thomas Pest Services right away. Over the counter, DIY or ant sprays can actually make the ant problem worse. These products can become a deterrent and may not reach the source of the problem especially when ant colonies are located inside the walls of homes. When unsure what type of ants is in the house it is best left to a professional, who understand how to treat each ant species. Protect your home, family and heath by contacting Thomas Pest Services for a no charge consultation today!