Get Rid of Ants◀ Back To Blog
May 29, 2013
Ants are the most prevalent pests in households throughout the Albany NY area. There are thousands of ant species throughout the world, while only a few types of ants are common in New York.
Ants can be easily identified, especially in their common wingless adult forms, known as workers. However, winged forms of ants, which leave the nest in large numbers in warm weather to mate and establish new colonies, are often mistaken for termites, which also leave the nest to mate. It is important to understand the difference between an ant and termite.
- The ant’s body is constricted, giving it the appearance of having a thin waist and segments.
- The ant’s hind wings are smaller than its front wings.
- Winged female and worker ants have elbowed antennae.
Effective ant management differs with every ant species. Identifying food and nesting preferences along with mechanical control methods, ants can be managed and controlled.
How to get rid of ants (common household):
- Identify the species of ant.
- Do not use ant spray. Ants leave behind scent trails to lead other ants to and from certain areas (kitchen counters, sugar bowl, etc.). An over the counter ant spray will divide the ants forcing them to attack your home in a different way.
- Remove food sources.
- Vacuum ants and be sure to empty the vacuum bag or canister.
- Wipe out areas with soapy water.
- Contact your local pest professional to bait for ants. Baits take time to work, so be patient.
- Locate the entry point and seal using caulk.
The best way to get rid of ants in Clifton Park NY is to locate and treat the infestation directly. With ant scent trails between the satellite and parent colonies, over the counter products will not fully treat ant infestations and can make them worse. Do not worry about ant problems in your home! Contact Thomas Pest Services who will address your ant problem quickly using the most up to date technologies to get rid of ants. Contact your Ballston Spa ant removal specialists, whether it’s one ant, ten ants, piles of sawdust or other signs of ants. Get rid of ants, contact Thomas Pest Services for a free inspection and to learn more about ant control services.