Avoid Bed Bugs This Memorial Day◀ Back To Blog
May 24, 2012
As the AAA predicts an increase in travelers this Memorial Day holiday and people hit the road for vacation destinations around the country, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) and Thomas Pest Services reminds those travelers to stay vigilant and keep bed bug prevention tips in mind to avoid picking up these unwanted and unpleasant pests.
Memorial Day means the start of summer and a holiday weekend filled with family fun, sun and travel for many Americans," noted Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. "Unfortunately, with travel comes the risk of encountering bed bugs, which our research proves have become more prevalent in public places, including hotels and motels, than ever before. Before packing up the car and hitting the road this year, remember to brush up on bed bug prevention tips to avoid inviting them home with you for summer vacation."
Here are several tips from NPMA to help travelers remain bed bug-free this summer:
- At hotels, pull back sheets and inspect mattress seams for telltale bed bug stains. Inspect the entire room before unpacking, including sofas and chairs and behind the headboard. Notify management of anything suspect and change rooms or establishments immediately.
- If you need to change rooms, don't move to a room adjacent or directly above or below the suspected infestation.
- Keep suitcases in plastic trash bags or protective covers during your stay to prevent bed bugs from nesting there.
- When home, inspect suitcases before bringing them into the house and vacuum them before storing.
- Wash clothes - even those not worn - in hot water to eliminate any bed bugs and their eggs.
- Consumers suspecting an infestation should contact a licensed pest professional.
Following these tips can help minimize the risk of a bed bug infestation to occur. Thomas Pest Services, a QualityPro company a designation from the National Pest Management Associations (NPMA) prides it’s self as a leader in bed bug control and removal. A bed bug infestation is serious and should be treated by a licensed, trustworthy pest control company. At the first bed bug signs, contact Thomas Pest Service for a free inspection. Proudly serving Albany, Northern Columbia County, Fulton, Montgomery, Renneselear, Saratoga, Schenectady, Washington, and Warren Counties.
We at Thomas Pest Services, Inc. are grateful to: the National Pest Management Association for the information above and/or photo images incorporated into this work.
The NPMA, a non-profit organization with more than 7,000 members, was established in 1933 to support the pest management industry's commitment to the protection of public health, food and property. For more information, please visit www.allthingsbedbugs.org .