10 Ways to Get Rid Of Stink Bugs◀ Back To Blog
December 22, 2013
The Brown Marmorated Stinkbug is usually beginning to wake up from hibernation and becoming active late March early April. As stink bugs begin to emerge they search for trees, shrubs and other plants like fruits and vegetables to begin to grow.
What do stink bugs look like?
- Adults are approximately one inch long.
- Stink bugs have shades of brown on both the upper and lower body surfaces.
- Stink bugs have a “shield” shape.
- The name “stink bug” refers to the scent glands located on the dorsal surface of the abdomen and the underside of the thorax.
Do stink bugs cause damage?
- Stink bugs do not cause physical property damage.
- Stink bugs damage trees include apples, peach and even corn crops to name a few.
How do I prevent stink bugs?
- Mechanical exclusion (pest proofing) is the best method to keep stink bugs from entering homes and buildings. Seal cracks around windows, doors, siding, utility pipes, behind chimneys, and underneath the wood fascia and other openings.
- Damaged screens on doors and windows should be repaired or replaced.
- Exterior applications of insecticides may offer some minor relief from infestations where the task of completely sealing the exterior is difficult or impossible.
How do you get rid of Stink Bugs?
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the bugs - UMD Bulletin
- Cut the top of a half gallon or gallon jug, fill it with soapy water and use a piece of cardboard or a napkin to whisk the bugs into the water, which will drown them - UMD Bulletin.
- Seal up cracks around windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping. - UMD Home and Garden Information Center.
- Take out window-unit air conditioners; stink bugs can easily get through these. - UMD HGIC.
- Plant or move fruit trees and vegetable gardens, especially tomato plants, away from your home to prevent stink bugs from landing on the exterior of your home. - UMD HGIC.
- Squish stink bugs outdoors--the odor warns other stink bugs to flee. - Bayer Advanced insect control
- Hang a stink bug trap outside your house to catch them. - UMD Bug Guy, Mike Raupp, YouTube
- Hang a damp towel outside your home overnight. In the morning, stink bugs will blanket the towel, and you can use a vacuum or knock them into a jug of soapy water to kill them. -Bayer Advanced
- Although most insecticides are ineffective against stink bugs, some do work, but the insect must be clearly on the label. Insecticides are never to be used indoors - UMD HGIC
- Check your attic for holes or gaps and close them up. Stinkbugs often enter through attics - Mike Raupp, UMD Bug Guy, YouTube.
If overwintering pests like asian lady beetles, boxelder beetles, cluster flies, rodents and stink bugs are waking up this spring, try our tips above or contact Saratoga NY pest control company. If your Chatham NY home requires cluster fly removal or stink bug removal contact Thomas Pest Services for a no charge consultation today!