Prevent Lyme Disease as Tick Populations Rise◀ Back To Blog
April 7, 2014
A recent article from the Albany Business Journal sheds light on the serious effects ticks and Lyme disease has on individuals. Lyme disease has been a growing problem in the Northeast and legislatures in New York and Vermont are considering legislation to shield physicians from punishment if they prescribe more antibiotics than the medical establishment considers necessary.
Some patients with lingering effects of the disease have reported improvement with long-term antibiotic treatment, but the general medical practice is for antibiotic treatment to stop after four-weeks.
Preventing Lyme Disease:
- Wear long pants, long-sleeved shirts and closed-toe shoes when outdoors, especially in wooded areas or tall grasses. Choose light colored clothing that makes it easier to spot ticks and other insects.
- Wear a bug spray containing at least 20% DEET, picaridin or IR3535 when outdoors, and reapply as directed on the label.
- When hiking, stay in the center of trails, away from vegetation.
- Keep grass cut low and remove weeds, woodpiles and debris, which can attract ticks and other pests.
- Be on the lookout for signs of tick bites, such as a telltale red bull's eye rash around a bite.
- Learn the symptoms of Lyme disease and other tick-borne diseases, and consult with your doctor immediately if you believe you have contracted it.
- If you find a tick in your home or suspect you have ticks on your property, contact your licensed Clifton Park pest control professional who can inspect and recommend a course of action to combat the pest.
Living in and around the Capital Region it is inevitable you will come across ticks. Unfortunately, keeping these insects away from your property is nearly impossible, but our pest management services can help. With simple precautions you can potentially avoid encounters with these biting insects. Thomas Pest Services, your Saratoga pest control experts can help reduce you and your families’ risk. If you live in Clifton Park or elsewhere in the Capital Region and need assistance getting rid of ticks, fill out our contact form today!