Don't get spooked by pests in your home this Halloween◀ Back To Blog
October 14, 2013
As fall sets in, many families begin thinking about Halloween: the costumes, the decorations, the parties and, of course, the trick-or-treating. Although rubber spiders, plastic bats and other ghoulish creatures are part of the fun of the holiday, real pest invasions can be quite a fright.
The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) advises homeowners to take precautions against creepy pests, which may look to take up residence during the cooler months.
"Whether they are hiding in boxes of Halloween decorations that have been in storage the past year or looking for an easy way through a crack or crevice, creepy crawly pests can and do easily find their way indoors," noted Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. "Because real spiders, cockroaches and rodents are surely not the spooky décor most homeowners have in mind, we encourage them to take a few easy steps to prevent infestations."
The NPMA offers the following tips for pest-proofing your home against unwelcome fall pests:
- Check all decorations before bringing them inside for any pests that may have nested over the past year.
- Seal all cracks and crevices around the foundation of the home. Mice, often in search of warmth, can fit through holes the size of a dime.
- Check for gaps under exterior doors, and install door sweeps to close them. Spiders can fit through openings as thin as a piece of paper.
- Trim branches or bushes that touch the home. These wooden pathways can provide direct pest highways right into the house.
- Store firewood several feet away from the house. Wood that is next to the foundation of a home offers a welcoming environment for rodents, termites and other pests.
- Properly cap chimneys, and keep flus closed when not in use. Certain types of nuisance wildlife see chimneys as a potential home-sweet-home.
Bats, bed bugs, centipedes, roaches, rodents, spider and other pests can really add the spook to Halloween. If you find any scary arrivals at your home besides vampires, ghost or other scary Halloween costumes, contact Thomas Pest Services. As the weather cools down, rodents along with many other pests are looking to spend the winter inside your home with you. Thomas Pest Services is your Clifton Park pest control provider and serving the Capital District protecting homes and families from pests. Contact us for a no charge consultation today!