Wet Winter Weather Will Have an Impact on Pests This Season◀ Back To Blog
March 14, 2014
As one of the stormiest winters in history ends, the National Pest Management Association (NPMA) reminds homeowners that increased moisture from excessive rain and melting snow can create havens for pests in and around homes. These wet conditions encourage pest reproduction and growth.
"As many areas of the country emerge from a snowy and wet winter, homeowners should expect to see an increase in pest pressure this spring and summer," said Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. "Common pests including rodents, ants, termites, mosquitoes and cockroaches flourish in these conditions."
"Homeowners should deal with a pest problem immediately as household pests can pose health risks to homeowners and their families such as allergic reactions, E.coli and salmonella contaminations, increased asthma symptoms and other health problems," advised Henriksen.
Typically, infestations occur when pests enter the house through small access areas on the home's exterior. Homeowners should perform seasonal home checks using the following tips provided by the NPMA:
- Repair fascia, soffits and rotted roof shingles.
- Seal cracks and holes including entry points for utilities and pipes.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around basement foundation and windows.
- Trim tree branches and shrubbery and keep away from the house.
- Screen windows and doors.
- Keep basements, attics and crawl spaces well ventilated and dry.
- Store garbage in sealed containers and dispose of it regularly.
- Call a qualified pest professional for additional advice and treatment if necessary.
"Planning for and defending against pests with the help of a licensed pest professional should be part of every homeowner's spring cleaning plan," Henriksen advised.
Common insects to find around your home include termites, ants, springtails, roaches and spiders. If you suspect a pest infestation, contact your Saratoga NY pest removal professional to remedy your pest problem. Over the counter products are risky and often ineffective harming you, your family, co-workers, pets and/or plants. Spring pests are common in the Ballston Spa NY area, but if they become a nuisance, your Saratoga County pest control professional can help!
Thank you to the National Pest Management Association for this information.