Top Bed Bug Cities◀ Back To Blog
July 10, 2013
PCT Magazine features Terminix’s annual list of top bed bug infested cities. This year, Terminix identifies the 15 top bed bug cities with the largest increase in bed bug infestations.
Cities with the top number of calls related to bed bugs through May of this year:
Cincinnati - Philadelphia – Detroit - New York – Columbus - Los Angeles – Dallas – Chicago - Houston - Baltimore
The 15 cities with the greatest increases in bed bug complaint calls to Terminix:
- Sacramento — 54%
- Milwaukee — 53%
- Las Vegas — 50%
- Columbus, Ohio — 47%
- Baltimore — 46%
- Riverside-San Bernardino, Calif. — 41%
- St. Louis — 40%
- Cleveland — 36%
- Louisville — 31%
- Denver — 28%
- Los Angeles — 27%
- San Francisco — 26%
- Dallas/Ft. Worth — 25%
- Nashville — 17%
- Houston — 15%
“Bed bugs continue to have a significant presence across the country, in cities large and small, and pose concern for public health,” said Stan Cope, PhD and entomologist with Terminix. “There is now evidence that suggests that severe bed bug infestations may be associated with anemia. Also, bed bug bites can result in secondary infections due to excessive scratching. Bed bug infestations are also known to have a psychological impact and can cause emotional stress and irritability, so if you think you have an issue with bed bugs you should immediately contact a professional to treat your home or business,” added Cope.
Bed bugs are usually transported from one location to another as people travel. They can travel in the seams of luggage, carry-on bags, folded clothing and furniture. Because bed bugs can go several months without a blood meal, it’s a good idea to thoroughly inspect luggage and mattresses when traveling. When bed bugs bite, they inject an anesthetic and anticoagulant that prevents a person from feeling the bite. Because these bites generally occur while people are sleeping, they don’t realize they’ve been bitten until small marks appear which are generally slightly swollen, red and may itch.
What does a bed bug look like?
- Adult bed bugs are reddish-brown in color.
- Adult bed bugs are flat, oval-shaped and about 1/4 inch in length.
- Bed bug eggs are approximately 1mm in size and whitish in color, making it difficult to see.
- Once bed bug eggs hatch into bed bug nymphs, nymphs are light in color and resemble adults.
What are signs of bed bugs?
- Live bed bugs, bed bug nymphs or bed bug eggs.
- Exoskeletons (cast skins) shed by nymphs.
- Small blood spot on mattress or linens.
- Tiny brownish/black droppings, which is bed bug fecal matter.
Where should you look in hotels for bed bugs?
- Remember bed bugs are secretive and like to hide in cracks and crevices.
- Seams of mattresses or box spring.
- Behind the headboard (it lifts straight up, really!).
- Behind hanging wall art or wallpaper.
- It is always a good idea to pack a small flashlight!
Thomas Pest Services has been solving bed bug problems for those that live, work and play in the Albany NY area and surrounding towns like Chatham, Schenectady, Latham, Saratoga Springs and Queensbury with third generation experience. Luckily, Upstate New York did not make the list of top bed bug cities, but that does not mean bed bugs are not here - they are! Bed bug removal is serious, Thomas Pest Services is licensed in getting rid of bed bugs, contact us via phone at 1-877-518-2847, via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter!