Top 10 Signs of Mice◀ Back To Blog
January 15, 2014
Have a mouse in the house? According to the National Pest Management Association (NPMA), rodents invade about 21 million homes each winter. Almost all homeowners can agree it is an uneasy feeling finding mice or rodents in your home. Unfortunately, mice are resourceful creatures that only need an entry point the size of a dime to enter a building or home through.
In a recent study by NPMA, the kitchen followed by the living room, garage, attic and basement are the most popular places to find mice in the home. The house mice are said to be the most common mammal in the U.S., so it’s no surprise that many Clifton Park homeowners report dealing with infestations at one time or another. Rodents are a year-round problem, but fall and winter is when homeowners see an increase in activity according to NPMA. Just like humans, mice move indoors when temperatures drop, in search of food and shelter. Because mice in the house are common in the northeast, you may think you already know all there is to know about this household pest, but do you know the signs of mice.
- Scampering, rustling and clawing sounds in the attic and walls, particularly at night
- Chewing sounds, which may sound like heavy scratching
- Low-pitched chirps or squeaks
- Gnaw marks on stored food, walls and wires
- Small, rice-sized droppings throughout the house
- Piles of nesting materials, including shredded paper, bunches of dry grass or small twigs, fabric, and furniture stuffing
- Smudges or grease markings on the walls caused by the oil and dirt in rodent coats
- Foot prints or tail marks in dusty spots
- Urine pools or trails
- Live or dead rodents
Contact Thomas Pest today, for a no charge inspection if you come across signs of mice. Taking a proactive approach to mice and other pests protects your health, home and family from the disease and destruction they cause. If there is one mouse, there are more, or will be more as a female mouse can have 12 young every 3 weeks. Often, do-it-yourself solutions are not effective quickly enough, so it is recommended to contact a professional like Thomas Pest Services. Serving the Albany NY area and surrounding towns like Chatham, Schenectady, Latham, Saratoga Springs and Queensbury with third generation experience. Rodent removal is serious, Thomas Pest Services is licensed in getting rid of rodents, contact us via phone at 1-877-518-2847, via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter!