Tick Borne Disease on the Rise◀ Back To Blog
October 3, 2013
The department says there has been an increase in the number of cases of anaplasmosis, which is a bacterial infection caused by a tick bite. Some ticks found in NY carry both anaplasmosis and Lyme. In 2010 six cases were reported, which has increased to 73 so far in 2013.
First symptoms begin within 1-2 weeks after the tick bite. People with the infection often have flu-like symptoms which include fever, headache, muscle pain, weakness, chills, nausea, cough, confusion and rarely a rash. Treatment for anaplasmosis is similar to Lyme disease treatment.
The health department says residents should consider the following tick prevention tips:
- Wear repellent with DEET on skin or clothing.
- Create tick-safe zones in your yard through:
- Appropriate Landscaping
- A license pest control company treat for ticks
- Keeping deer away from property
- Check your body, clothing, and pets for ticks.
- Check under arms, ears, the belly button, backs of knees, between legs, around the waist, and in and around all head and body hair.
- Shower soon after being outdoors.
- Check clothes carefully or put into a dryer on high heat.
- Prevent family pets from ticks into the home by using veterinarian-prescribed tick collars or spot-on treatment.
- Remove ticks quickly and carefully using fine tipped tweezers.
Living in and around the Capital Region, ticks plague our properties putting our families and health at risk. Unfortunately, keeping these insects away from your property is nearly impossible, but our pest management services can help. With simple precautions you can potentially avoid encounters with these biting insects. Thomas Pest Services, your Schenectady pest control experts can help reduce you and your families’ risk. If you live in Clifton Park or elsewhere in the Capital Region and need assistance getting rid of ticks , fill out our contact form today!