Stink Bugs in New York◀ Back To Blog
April 17, 2013
This past weekend, many attendees had questions about stink bugs. The Brown Marmorated Stinkbug is beginning to wake up from hibernation and becoming active. As stink bugs begin to emerge they search for trees, shrubs and other plants like fruits and vegetables to begin to grow.
What do stink bugs look like?
- Adults are approximately one inch long.
- Stink bugs have shades of brown on both the upper and lower body surfaces.
- Stink bugs have a “shield” shape.
- The name “stink bug” refers to the scent glands located on the dorsal surface of the abdomen and the underside of the thorax.
What is the life cycle of stink bugs?
- Stink bugs have a single generation depending on the temperatures.
- Warm spring and summer conditions could permit the development of two or three generations.
- Adults will emerge sometime in the spring of the year (late April to mid-May), and mate and deposit eggs from May through August.
- Adults begin to search for overwintering sites starting in September through the first half of October.
Do stink bugs cause damage?
- Stink bugs do not cause physical property damage.
- Stink bugs damage trees include apples, peach and even corn crops to name a few.
How do I prevent stink bugs?
- Mechanical exclusion (pest proofing) is the best method to keep stink bugs from entering homes and buildings. Seal cracks around windows, doors, siding, utility pipes, behind chimneys, and underneath the wood fascia and other openings.
- Damaged screens on doors and windows should be repaired or replaced.
- Exterior applications of insecticides may offer some minor relief from infestations where the task of completely sealing the exterior is difficult or impossible.
How do you get rid of Stink Bugs?
- If numerous stink bugs are entering the structure, attempt to locate the openings and seal. Typically, stink bugs will emerge from cracks under or behind baseboards, around window and door trim, and around exhaust fans or lights in ceilings. Seal these openings with caulk or other suitable materials to prevent the insects from crawling out.
- Both live and dead stink bugs can be removed by vacuuming.
If overwintering pests like asian lady beetles, boxelder beetles, cluster flies, rodents and stink bugs are waking up this spring, try our tips above or contact Saratoga NY pest control company. If your Chatham NY home requires cluster fly removal or stink bug removal contact Thomas Pest Services for a no charge consultation today!