Pest Proofing and Keeping Pests Out◀ Back To Blog
September 19, 2012
As homeowners in the Capital Region begin putting away the lounge chairs, pool accessories and other summer items away, don’t think that pests are going away. During the summer months, homeowners in and around Albany deal with pests like carpenter ants, carpenter bees, bees among many more. As the weather cools, insects, rodents and wildlife begin looking for a place to spend the winter months, like in our homes.
Pests like cluster flies, lady bugs, mice, spiders and stink bugs are a few fall pests. Without taking a few pest prevention tips, these pests could be spending the winter months with you, in your home.
Keep pests out:
- Make sure all cracks around the outside of your house are sealed so mice, rats, snakes and insects can't squeeze in (rats can get through openings 1/2" in diameter, while mice can get through holes no bigger than a dime). Steel wool can be used as a temporary fix. Stuffing cracks with cloth won't help as rodents may use it for bedding.
- Holes and other rodent damage in your home or garage need to be repaired and protected. Make repairs and if necessary, cover the damage with hardware cloth (1/4" squares).Do not use wood, rodents may chew right through it again.
- Doors, windows and screens should be in good repair and fit tightly.
- Check around your dryer vent and other openings to make sure they aren't being used as a handy way to get into your house.
- Remove leaves and grass clippings from around the foundation, cleaning out window wells and general yard clean-up will get rid of hiding places for pests near the home.
Cooler temperatures are coming and you do not want to find uninvited guests inside. These invaders are not only unwanted, but critters like mice and rats can take advantage of your home creating a danger zone. Leaving issues unattended to can cause pests to become more established and more difficult and expensive to treat. Protecting your home from unwanted guests by "pest-proofing."
Thomas Pest Services has been pest proofing for rodents and insects for those that live, work and play in the Capital Region and surrounding towns like Chatham, Schenectady, Latham, Saratoga Springs and Queensbury with third generation experience. Keeping pests out is serious to prevent pest and rodent infestations. Thomas Pest Services is licensed in getting rid of rodents, contact us via phone at 1-877-518-2847, via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter!