Lone Star Ticks◀ Back To Blog
June 14, 2013
Lyme Disease is not the only reason to avoid ticks according to CBS 6 Albany. Doctors say one of those bites may also make you allergic to red meat.
Researchers have found the allergic reaction can come after a bite from the "lone star tick." But it doesn't set in until three to six hours after you eat red meat for the first time after getting bit. The tick is listed as one of the most common ticks in New York State.
New York State Department of Health said, "Lone star ticks are becoming more common in New York State. They can carry the germ that causes human monocytic ehrlichiosis and are another rash illness that has been seen in over 20 other states. Lone start ticks are most active from April through July."
- Female lone start ticks are 1/4 inch long and reddish brown in coloration. A distinctive white spot or "star" on the scutum is characteristic of females.
- A reticulated pattern is apparent on the outer margins on the upper body surface of males.
- Lone start ticks will aggressively attack people and other medium-to-large mammals.
- Lone star ticks have long mouthparts but with care the stylets can be completely removed from the host skin. Even with successful removal of mouthparts the cementing substance is left in the bite wound. This cement material can causing itching, skin irritation, and localized swelling immediately around the bite.
- Lone star ticks carry the germ which causes human monocytic ehrlichiosis. After an incubation period of 5 to 10 days nonspecific symptoms appear, including a high fever, severe headache, chills, aching muscles and joints, and fatigue. People may exhibit a rash, but it is not a common clinical feature of the disease. Human monocytic ehrlichiosis is treatable with antibiotics.
Living in and around the Capital Region it is inevitable you will come across ticks. Unfortunately, keeping these insects away from your property is nearly impossible, but as your Albany tick removal specialist, we can help. With simple precautions you can potentially avoid encounters with these biting insects. Thomas Pest Services, your Saratoga pest control experts can help reduce you and your families’ risk against ticks. If you live in Clifton Park or elsewhere in the Capital Region and need assistance getting rid of ticks , fill out our contact form today!