Keeping Summer Pests Out of Your Home And Yard◀ Back To Blog
July 19, 2018
Though spring is the best time of year for homeowners to start thinking about taking measures to prevent spring and summer pests from being attracted to their yard and invading their home, we understand that people get busy and certain items on that spring to-do-list may have been put on the backburner. If pest-proofing your home was one thing that you didn’t get around to this spring, don’t worry, it isn’t too late to put the prevention measures needed to keep summertime pests out of your New York home and yard into place! To help aid in your fight against summertime pests, the experts at Thomas Pest Services want to provide you with the tips needed to keep pests like carpenter ants, fleas, mosquitoes, termites, and ticks, and more away from you, your family, your pets, and your home this summer.
Tips To Pest-Proof Your Yard:
- Pests like mosquitoes and ticks are attracted to tall grasses and overgrown vegetation, so keeping your yard well-maintained can help keep these pests at bay; keep your lawn trimmed short, trim back vegetation away from the exterior of your home, and cut back any wooded areas away from the edge of your property.
- Remove bird feeders or wild animal feeders in your yard and pick up any uneaten pet food in between feedings as it could attract pests to your property.
- Make sure that your gutters are working properly redirecting rainwater away from your home and preventing moisture from building up around its foundation.
- When eating outside, make sure to pick up any scraps of food, trash, or beverage containers that could attract pests that are out foraging for food to your property.
Tips To Pest-Proof Your Home:
- Inspect your home’s exterior walls, roof, roofline, and foundation and seal any gaps, holes, cracks, or crevices that are found.
- Make sure that all the windows and doors in your home have screens placed in them and that the screens are completely intact.
- Switch out white outdoor light bulbs for yellow outdoor light bulbs, which are less attractive to insects.
- Make sure that all chimneys have tight-fitting caps on them; place covers over all the vents in your home and seal any spaces found around air-conditioners or other utilities that are entering into your home.
- Keep the storage areas inside your home where pests could hide in as organized and clutter-free as possible.
Keep counters, tables, and floors clean and free of crumbs, spills, and other debris.
If you are currently experiencing problems with carpenter ants, termites, ticks, mosquitoes, fleas or any other summertime pests on your property or in your home, contact Thomas Pest Services for help immediately. Our professionals will quickly come to your aid and provide the necessary pest control services needed to eliminate summer pests and prevent them from returning. It is important to remember that it’s never too late to pest proof your home and it’s never too late to ask for help from a professional — pest control is what we do and would be happy to protect your New York property and home from pests! To learn more about how partnering with Thomas Pest Services can help protect your home and property from summer pests, get in touch with us today!