How to Protect Your Home from Pests This Spring◀ Back To Blog
February 28, 2019
How to Protect Your Home from Pests This Spring
How to Prevent Mosquitoes
- Take a look around your yard for anything that can be used as a mosquito breeding ground. Items like toys and gardening tools collect water and should be moved to a shed or garage. Mosquitoes can breed in a thin layer of water, so take care to eliminate even small pools and puddles. Leaky outdoor plumbing should be repaired right away. Mosquito breeding can even happen in loose tarps, tire swings, leaf piles, and debris.
- Be careful to keep planted flowers to a minimum in your yard, as they produce nectar and honeydew that mosquitoes are attracted to. Plants and flowers also increase moisture. You can plant mosquito repelling plants amongst your other flowers. Flowers like marigolds, lavender, catnip, and citronella grasses are much less attractive to mosquitoes.
- To drastically reduce the mosquito population in your yard, contact a professional pest control company like Thomas Pest Services for more information.
How to Prevent Termites
- Do not build with old wood that has been previously used or sitting around for a long time.
- Make sure to keep your yard and the area around your home dry by cleaning out clogged gutters, and repairing leaky fixtures and pipes right away.
- Store piles of wood a distance from your home.
- Clean your yard by removing clutter and debris.
- For guaranteed effective control of termites, Thomas Pest Services can help. We offer industry-leading methods of elimination that include the Sentricon® System with Always Active™
How to Prevent Stinging Insects
- Stinging insects are nearly impossible to avoid, but keeping flowers and plants away from areas that you frequently use can help.
- When outdoors, avoid using scented toiletries and brightly colored clothing that may attract stinging insects.
- Avoid loose-fitting clothing, flip-flops, and open-toed shoes that stinging insects can get into.
- When barbecuing or picnicking in your yard, keep foods and drinks covered and trash cans a distance from people.
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately.
- Inspect your yard for hives or nests that are low to the ground, especially before mowing the lawn or allowing children to play in the area. It is important to stay away from all hives and nests.
- Contact Thomas Pest Services for professional assistance to remove nests and hives and help you to prevent any future infestations.