Flies Are Dirty Than Roaches◀ Back To Blog
July 25, 2014
Restaurant patrons underestimate the health threats flies present, according to a new survey released by Orkin. Of the survey respondents:
- 61 percent would continue eating their meal after a fly touched and contaminated it.
- Only 3 percent of survey respondents reported they would continue eating food on which a cockroach crawled.
Why do flies have such a bad reputation?
- Flies transmit dangerous diseases and bacteria.
- Restaurant patrons are at risk of being exposed to serious disease transmission if flies enter food preparation or dining room areas.
- Every time a fly lands, it can leave behind thousands of germs that can cause serious illnesses such as diarrhea, food poisoning, meningitis and bloodstream infections.
Despite these health threats, restaurant patrons continue to eat food contaminated by flies. A separate survey released by Orkin shows flies are a common pest in restaurants:
- 50 percent saw a pest at a restaurant in the past 12 months.
- 95 percent of those sightings included flies.
- 75 percent of those sightings went unreported because restaurant patrons don't consider flies a major issue.
Restaurant patrons who responded to the survey also revealed:
- Patrons have a low tolerance for pest sightings, as more than half expect a discount on their meal if they spot a pest in the restaurant.
- 81 percent will never return if they see a pest in their food.
- 56 percent are likely to write a negative online review of the restaurant, post on social media or blog about it.
Flies are not only a problem at restaurants, but also in homes. In many areas around the country, house flies are the top fly problem. Sanitation is key for homeowners to protect against health concerns related to flies.
More than 100 pathogens are associated with the house fly, including Salmonella, Staphylococcus, E.coli and Shigella. These pathogens can even cause diseases such as typhoid fever, cholera, bacillary dysentery and hepatitis.
To keep flies away, consider the following tips:
- Regularly wipe countertops.
- Clean food and drink spills immediately.
- Store all food in containers.
- Empty trash cans and keep lids tightly shut.
- Install door and window screens.
House flies can be a dangerous pest to both residential dwellings and commercial facilities. Flies continuously land and feed on excrement and garbage and unfortunately when they land on food and counters and other surfaces where food is prepared they can spread bacteria and illness.. With third generation experience, Thomas Pest Services is a local, family owned company protecting homes in Chatham, East Greenbush, Colonie, Schenectady, Clifton Park, Saratoga and beyond! Please contact us today for a free commercial pest control evaluation!