How Rodents Enter Homes and What To Do◀ Back To Blog
December 20, 2012
How Do Rodents Enter the Home?
Rodents enter a structure to escape from outdoor elements, predators or when their shelter is disturbed. Mice can enter structures through a hole or crack just ¼ inch wide, while rats need ½ inch wide opening. Common entry points include: corner openings, behind steps, roofline, chimney flashing, bulkheads, and garage door frames to name a few.
Once inside, rodents will climb, jump and scurrying through holes, cracks, vents, attics, crawl spaces and other areas in search of their necessities: food and shelter. Rodents will search for a nesting site, which can vary from attic space or near heating units along with a food source (kitchen, pet food, bird seed).
Thomas Pest Services offers a no charge inspection to search for areas that need pest proofing to seal out rodents along with the extent of the infestation.
What should I do if I find rodents in my home?
Every year, rodents gain access to homes, causing property damage, contaminating food sources, triggering allergies and, in some cases, causing illness/disease. It is estimated that rodents infest approximately 21 million homes in the United States, each year. At the first signs of rodents, whether one rodent, multiple rodents, rodent damage or rodent droppings, action should be taken immediately. Getting rid of rodents will not only protect your structure, but your family’s health and safety.
Contact your Clifton Park rodent removal specialist and Thomas Pest Services will begin this process:
No charge pest inspection.
- Thomas Pest Services will identify entry points conducive to pest entry.
- Inspect other portions of the home to determine the level of rodent infestation.
- Review different rodent solutions that would best fit your home, your pest needs and YOUR needs.
Depending upon the inspection and in speaking with the customer, our service will consist of:
- Exclusion, another word for pest proofing or sealing out rodents.
- Placing rodent traps in specific areas.
- Placing rodent bait in specific areas.
- Vacuuming and/or sanitizing areas (clean up) where rodent droppings, rodent nesting materials are present.
- Work with you to ensure your home is free of pests that destroy property and carry disease.
Thomas Pest Services has been solving rodent and insect problems for those that live, work and play in the Capital Region and surrounding towns like Chatham, Schenectady, Latham, Saratoga Springs and Queensbury with third generation experience. Rodent removal is serious, Thomas Pest Services is licensed in getting rid of rodents, contact us via phone at 1-877-518-2847, via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter!