Get Rid of Stink Bugs◀ Back To Blog
October 8, 2013
Overwintering pests are very common this time of year looking for a place to spend the winter in areas like wall voids and attic spaces. You may have seen them crawling on your screens or fluttering around your house. If you crush them, they expel a musty scent, a defensive technique that has earned them their name—stink bugs.
What do stink bugs look like?
- Stink bugs are mottled grayish-brown.
- Stink bugs are ¾ inch long and triangular or shield shaped.
Why do I have stink bugs?
Adult stink bugs enter homes and other structures in the late fall to seek shelter from the winter weather. Stink bugs in the winter are caused from stink bugs are reemerge from overwintering sites in early spring and try to exit, but sometimes enter living spaces. Like overwintering insects, stink bugs will congregate on the south side of the structure where the sun is prevalent.
Do stink bugs really smell?
- Yes, stink bugs emit an odor from the pores on the sides of their as a defense against predators.
Do stink bugs bite?
- Stink bugs are not known to bite humans, but be cautious as stink bugs can emit an odor.
Here are 10 ways to get rid of stink bugs:
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck up the bugs.
- Cut the top of a half gallon or gallon jug, fill it with soapy water and use a piece of cardboard or a napkin to whisk the bugs into the water, which will drown the.
- Seal up cracks around windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- Take out window-unit air conditioners; stink bugs can easily get through these.
- Plant or move fruit trees and vegetable gardens, especially tomato plants, away from your home to prevent stink bugs from landing on the exterior of your home.
- Squish stink bugs outdoors--the odor warns other stink bugs to flee.
- Hang a stink bug trap outside your house to catch them.
- Hang a damp towel outside your home overnight. In the morning, stink bugs will blanket the towel, and you can use a vacuum or knock them into a jug of soapy water to get rid of stink bugs.
- Although most insecticides are ineffective against stink bugs, some do work, but the bug must be clearly on the label. Insecticides are never to be used indoors. If you must resort to insecticides, contact your local pest control provider.
- Check your attic for holes or gaps and close them up. Stinkbugs often enter through attics.
If overwintering pests like asian lady beetles, boxelder beetles, cluster flies, rodents and stink bugs are bugging you, try our tips above or contact your Saratoga NY pest professional. Contact Thomas Pest Services for a no charge consultation today to get rid of stink bugs!