Flea Removal◀ Back To Blog
August 13, 2012
If you're itching to rid your home of fleas, you may want to heed some expert advice. The first thing you should know is that it's important to act fast. Infestations pop up quickly and can be very difficult to control once inside the home, says the National Pest Management Association.
Fleas are hungry parasites that feed on any warm-blooded body, so it's easy for pets to bring them inside and spread them throughout the house - where they can then turn you into supper. It's not healthy to live in a house with fleas; these pests have been known to transmit fatal diseases like the bubonic plague and the bacterial disease, murine typhus. However, it is more common for pets and people alike to suffer an allergic reaction to flea saliva, which can cause painful, itchy bumps on the skin.
Here are some tips to prevent fleas:
- Keep your lawn groomed. Untended lawns provide hiding spots and food sources for rodents and other animals that fleas feed on.
- Fleas can hitch rides on rodents. If you notice a rodent problem on your property, fleas are just one more reason to call your Albany flea removal company to immediately to remedy the problem.
- Keep pets leashed while outside. Bathe and groom your pets regularly and use flea treatments as recommended by your veterinarian.
- Clean and vacuum your home frequently to help remove fleas.
- Getting rid of adult fleas alone will not solve your problem.
If you find adult fleas, then there may also be hundreds of eggs in your home. These eggs can take seven to 14 days to hatch and the infestation cycle will continue. If you notice flea bites or your pet suffering frim flea bites, your Schenectady flea removal specialists can rid your home from all stages of fleas.