Early Spring Pests◀ Back To Blog
March 9, 2012
Who has enjoyed the winter weather in the Albany area? Many can agree, the mild weather in the Saratoga and surrounding area has been quite enjoyable. Almost every state had a warmer-than-usual January, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. In Albany, N.Y., for example, the average high in January was 37 degrees, when it's usually less than freezing, according to the National Weather Service.
If you are scratching your head as to why it is 60 degrees in March, insects are just as confused. Insects that would normally freeze are able to survive, reproduce and grow with the mild temperatures. As the recent March snow melts and the ground begins to thaw, pests are greeting residents in Chatham, Glenmont, Albany, Ballston Spa, Gansevoort and beyond. What types of insects can you expect? Pest such as ants, flies, lady beetles and termites to name a few.
If you begin to see these pests, below are a few pest management tips:
- Seal any cracks and gaps in your structures foundation, around pipes chases, electrical outlets and other openings.
- Replace any rotten or dead wood in your home.
- Stack firewood away from your home. Do not bring large piles of wood inside.
- Reduce moisture in and around your home. Look for leaky pipes, drainage issues and pooling water outside. A dehumidifier is a great tool for crawl spaces and basements.
- Store food in sealed plastic containers. This is a great way to prevent pest from infesting your food sources.
- Clean up spilled food debris in and around the kitchen. Make sure your cat or dog finishes their food and it is not an open food source' for pests.
At the first sign of pests, contact a professional pest control company. Ants will contaminate your food and flies can contaminate/spread disease. Overwintering lady beetles are a nuisance, while termites damage wood and destroy your property. Enjoy the spring without the irritation of spring pests. Learn more about these pests and how Thomas Pest Services can protect your Valatie, Clifton Park, Malta or Northville home. Contact Thomas Pest Services, your pest management professional today.