DIY Tips for Nuisance Pests◀ Back To Blog
November 2, 2020
We firmly believe in the importance of professional pest control; that’s why we do what we do. But sometimes, nuisance pests don’t require the professionals, and can actually be mostly taken care of using DIY methods. Does that mean DIY is the solution for all pest control problems? Of course not! But sometimes they can come in handy. That’s why we tapped some of our best talent here at Thomas Pest Services to give you some tips on which DIY pest control tips actually work.
DIY Fruit Fly Traps
Fruit flies are annoying (like, really annoying) but they aren’t typically the type of pest that you’ll contact a professional pest control company to take care of. So what can you do that will actually work to get rid of these frustrating flies? Build your own trap! There are a few popular concoctions you can create that actually work:
- Apple cider vinegar and dish soap
- White wine and dish soap
You’ll want to create this little fruit fly potion in either a jar or a glass that you don’t mind getting rid of. Once you’ve mixed this up, the remaining steps are simple:
- Cover the top of the jar or cup with either a metal lid or plastic wrap.
- Punch holes small holes in the lid or plastic wrap.
- Check the trap daily to see if it’s working.
We’ve found this little trick works wonders for getting rid of fruit flies. Just remember to be patient; sometimes this trap can take a few days to work at getting rid of all those pesky flies!
DIY Ant Prevention
Before we get into this, we want to stress that this is not the way to take care of a carpenter ant problem; that requires professional pest control. With that said, if you are dealing with less harmful ants (like pavement ants or citronella ants), there are a few things that you can do yourself that can help:
- Seal any cracks and/or crevices in your home’s foundation and exterior walls.
- Caulk any gaps found around exterior windows or doors.
- Store food securely and tightly, and clean crumbs and other food debris off countertops.
- Keep outdoor trash tightly lidded.
- Keep your lawn clear of debris like rocks, leaves, and sticks.
- Place piles of wood away from your home--some ants build nests in them.
DIY Mosquito Prevention
Mosquitoes are one of the most irritating and at times dangerous pests that plague New York. Luckily there are a few things that you can do to prevent them:
- Check your property regularly for standing water. Store items that can easily collect large amounts of water inside or upside down so they do not collect water.
- Clear gutters of leaves and other debris.
- Keep pools covered when not in use.
- Keep grass cut short and do not allow other landscape elements to become too thick or dense.
- Repair or replace window screens that have holes or tears.
What About DIY Pest Products?
While there are a ton of DIY pest products on the market, we highly recommend against using them unless you have experience. Why? First off, using pesticides on your own can be dangerous. Secondly, in-store pest control products can at times be less effective than those deployed by a professional pest control company. On top of that, there’s always the chance that a pest problem is more severe than you realize, in which case you might treat a problem and think it’s taken care of when ultimately it is not. That’s why for the most part we recommend using DIY methods for prevention, not for elimination.
If you are in need of professional pest control, just get in touch with us and we’ll help with whatever problem you’re having ASAP!