Common Wildlife Threats New York Residents Should Always Be Ready For◀ Back To Blog
November 21, 2018
Preparing for wildlife this fall in New York should include prevention of common wildlife threats. These threats include squirrels, raccoons, and bats. So, while the leaves are changing and the temperatures drop, wildlife pests are seeking out warmer environments in which to survive the winter months.
Squirrels can be dangerous inside homes by chewing on things like electric wires and insulation. They leave behind odorous urine and feces, and they can introduce parasites into your home that may make you sick.
Raccoons could be even more dangerous because they can become extremely aggressive. They may carry rabies and other diseases. They are capable of causing extensive damage to your home and personal belongings. Raccoons are also known to carry parasites.
Bats can sometimes be dangerous as they will defend themselves when feeling threatened. They are known to be carriers of rabies, and bat urine and feces causes damage and contamination. Once bat feces dries and becomes air-borne, the spores can make people sick.
What can you do to prepare your home for fall wildlife?
Take a look around your property and home to make sure that there is nothing to attract wildlife to your property. Here are a few things you can do to prepare:
- Make sure your yard is clear of any debris and vegetation. Piles of wood, leaves, junk, and debris should be cleaned up and placed a distance away from your home.
- Seal off any points of entry, such as holes in the foundation and exterior walls, gaps around window and door frames, and spaces around utility wires, cables, and plumbing.
- Repair leaky faucets and rid spaces of unnecessary moisture, especially in basements, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Loose shingles and fascia boards should be repaired or replaced.
- Be sure to keep chimneys capped.
- Trim tree branches to keep them from touching the exterior walls of your home.
- Store outdoor trash in secure bins with tight-fitting lids.
Your best plan of action is to call on wildlife professionals to prevent wildlife problems inside your home before they occur. If wildlife has found its way inside your home, call on the professionals at Thomas Pest Services in New York right away. We offer professional wildlife removal and exclusion services that are highly effective. Contact Thomas Pest Services for more information.