April: Its National Pest Management Month◀ Back To Blog
April 2, 2015
April is National Pest Management Month, a public observance celebrated for nearly 40 years by the National Pest Management Association(NPMA), and the professional pest control industry. The designation brings attention to the role pest professionals play in protecting public health and property from significant pest threats. Additionally, April is a great time to remind homeowners to undertake home maintenance projects to protect against spring and summer pest infestations.
“Our members often work behind the scenes, without much recognition, which is why it’s important we take the month of April to acknowledge the important work pest professionals do each and every day,” said Missy Henriksen, vice president of public affairs for the NPMA. “As spring is the perfect time to pest-proof homes, we’re also encouraging homeowners to implement simple prevention steps this April to stave off pest problems during the warmer months when pest populations thrive.”
For the second year in a row, NPMA has partnered with renowned home improvement expert, Bob Vila to offer tips and advice to homeowners on ways they can prepare their homes to defend against spring and summer pests such as termites, stinging insects, mosquitoes and ants.
NPMA and Bob Vila offer the following home pest proofing tips:
- Conduct an audit of the home’s perimeter, taking note of any cracks, winter damage or termite mud tubes.
- Seal outside cracks, including entry points for utilities and pipes, with a silicone-based caulk.
- Replace weather-stripping and repair loose mortar around the foundation and windows.
- Eliminate sources of standing water around the house and clean clogged gutters.
- Remove rotted tree stumps, keep mulch at least 15 feet away from the home’s foundation and trim bushes and branches away from the home.
- In case of an infestation, work with a licensed pest professional to properly identify the problem and determine the best treatment method.
As temperatures begin to warm up, insects realize now is the time to wake up too! Unfortunately, many pests will seek food and shelter with us, in our home. Pests like carpenter ants, yellow jackets, bats and termites, to name a few can begin a headache this time of year. Pest Prevention Tips provided by NPMA. Protect your home, family and heath by contacting Thomas Pest Services for a no charge consultation today!