Ants in the House◀ Back To Blog
March 22, 2013
Did you know ant infestations are one of the most common pest problem we face here in the Albany NY area. One of the most common calls we receive this time of year is, "I have ants in the house." There are many types of ants in New York that can infest your home. Below we have described different ants in the house that could be bugging you!
How did ants get inside?
Ants are scavengers and enter homes or businesses in search for moisture and food through cracks around the home. Sometimes, rotting or damp wood that has mold damage can also attract ants. It would make sense why ants are often found in the kitchen or bathroom, right?
What type of ant do you have?
- Acrobat ants are 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch long.
- Most acrobat ants are black to light brown in color.
- An acrobat ant abdomen is shaped like a heart
- Acrobat ants prefer nesting in moist wood softened by decay or fungi nesting in wall voids, baseboards, or door and window framing.
- Citronella ants are ¼ inch long.
- Citronella ants are yellow-orange color.
- When citronella ants are crushed they smell like citronella.
- Citronella ants are often confused with termites. Citronella ant swarms tend to come out of cracks in concrete slabs and foundations or in homes dirt basements or crawl spaces.
- Carpenter ants are ¼ to ½ inch long.
- Carpenter ants do not eat the wood, but simply remove it for nests (the sawdust is called “frass”).
- Nests can be located outside on railroad ties, tree stumps, wood piles and inside almost anywhere, but usually are found in areas of high moisture like windows and doors frames.
- Pavement ants are approximately 1/8 inch long.
- Pavements ants nests in cracks in pavement and can infest a building.
- Pavement ants come out of cracks in concrete slabs and foundations or in homes with dirt basements or crawl spaces.
- Pharaoh ants are 1/16 inch long.
- Pharaoh ants are yellow or honey-colored to orange.
- Pharaoh ants nest in structures in walls, cabinet voids, behind baseboards, behind refrigerator insulation and outdoors in debris and crack and crevices.
- Pharaoh ants are very mobile and may move to new locations if disturbed or if colony becomes too large.
The best way to get rid of ants is to locate and treat the nest directly. Ant control is sometimes easier said than done, why you should contact an ant removal specialist right away. Black ants are not just ants! With their scent trails between the satellite and parent colony, over the counter products are not going to fully solve ant infestations. Contact Thomas Pest Services who will address your ant problem quickly using the most up to date technologies to exterminate the ants in the house. Contact your Ballston Spa ant removal specialists, whether it’s one ant, ten ants, piles of sawdust or other signs of ants. Do not let these insects continue to damage your structure, contact Thomas Pest Services for a free inspection.