Albany, Schenectady, Troy NY Make The Top Bed Bug Cities 2013◀ Back To Blog
January 17, 2014
The top bed bug cities for 2013 was released by Orkin who noted a slight decrease in bed bugs locally, here in the Capital Region. Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y decreased one position compared to 2012. Albany, Schenectady and Troy, NY made #44 on the list back in 2011. Bed bugs continue to bite their way across the country as evidenced by the more than 20 percent increase according to Orkin. Other cities that made notable leaps up the list include Champaign/Springfield, Ill., Pittsburgh and Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, S.C. On the other end of the spectrum, Omaha, Neb., Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Colo., Lexington, Ky. and Buffalo, N.Y. settled into significantly lower spots on the list than last year.
The Top Bed Bug Cities 2013:
- Los Angeles (+1)
- Columbus, Ohio (+3)
- Detroit (-2)
- Cleveland/Akron/Canton (+2)
- Dayton (+4)
- Washington D.C. (-1)
- Denver (-5)
- Indianapolis (+6)
- Richmond/Petersburg, Va. (+1)
- Raleigh/Durham/Fayetteville, N.C. (+3)
- Dallas/Ft. Worth (-4)
- Syracuse, N.Y. (+7)
- Atlanta (+14)
- Houston (+2)
- New York (-7)
- Seattle/Tacoma (-5)
- San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose (-5)
- Boston (+2)
- Milwaukee (-2)
- Miami/Ft. Lauderdale (+3)
- Nashville (+17)
- Pittsburgh (+12)
- Charlotte (+18)
- San Diego (+6)
- Baltimore (-7)
- Phoenix (+7)
- Cedar Rapids/Waterloo, Iowa (+4) |
- Charleston/Huntington, W. Va. (+1)
- Knoxville, Tenn. (-4)
- Louisville, Ky. (-2)
- Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo, Mich. (+5)
- Hartford/New Haven, Conn. (-8)
- Champaign/Springfield, Ill. (+13)
- Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville, S.C. (+11)
- Omaha, Neb. (-20)
- Buffalo, N.Y. (-10)
- Lincoln/Hastings/Kearney, Neb. (+2)
- Lexington, Ky. (-16)
- Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto, Calif. (+4)
- Colorado Springs/Pueblo, Colo. (-19)
- Albany/Schenectady/Troy, N.Y. (-1)
- Minneapolis/St. Paul (-10)
- Honolulu (-8)
- Toledo, Ohio
- Peoria/Bloomington, Ill.
- Davenport, Iowa/Moline, Ill.
- New Orleans
- Kansas City
If bed bugs hitchhike home with you, avoid do-it-yourself bed bug treatments, be informed and learn common bed bug myths and misconceptions. What are the basic bed bug facts:
What are signs of bed bugs ?
- Live insects. Adults are about the size of an apple seed, brown/dark red in color. Eggs and nymphs (baby bed bugs) are translucent and the size of a grain of rice.
- Exoskeletons. Light brown/tan Exoskeletons are left behind as bed bugs grow into adults.
- Blood Spots. Small blood spots the size of pepper and dark red/black in color are usually found on the mattress or sheets after a bed bug feeds.
- Bites. Bed bug bites affect everyone differently, but usually in a row.
When traveling be sure to avoid bringing bed bugs home. We at Thomas Pest Services are licensed and trained in bed bug removal. Living in Albany, Clifton Park, Saratoga or other Capital Region community, know bed bugs are here! Thomas Pest Services is your local exterminator who provides bed bug treatments. At the first signs of bed bugs, contact Thomas Pest Services for bed bug solutions. Contact us by phone 1-877-518-2847, email@example.com, twitter or facebook.