Albany NY Area Sees Increase In Hotel Occupancy - Prevent Bed Bugs◀ Back To Blog
March 28, 2014
Hotel occupancy increased 5.2 percent in February in the Albany, NY region, the eighth-consecutive month of year-over-year gains, according to a survey by hospitality consulting firm Smith Travel Research and the Albany Business Review.
The average occupancy rate at 133 hotels surveyed by the firm was 56.2 percent. There were 11,481 rooms at the hotels in Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady and Rensselaer counties. The Albany Business Review states, the strong numbers are reflected in the growing number of hotels being built, renovated or proposed for the region, including four on Wolf Road in Colonie and several in Saratoga Springs.
With increase travel and hotel room turnover also increases the risk of bed bugs. Bed bugs are the size and color of a flat apple seed, are hitchhikers and will hide in suitcases, boxes and shoes to be near a food supply (humans). In addition to the mattress and headboard, bed bugs can be found behind baseboards, electrical switch plates, picture frames, wallpaper. Bed bugs do not discriminate between a five-star hotel to a low amenity motel nor location. Bed bug prevention is the best means to protect yourself and family while traveling to avoid bringing bed bugs home.
Where should you look in hotels for bed bugs?
- Remember bed bugs are secretive and like to hide in cracks and crevices.
- Seams of mattresses or box spring.
- Behind the headboard (it lifts straight up, really!).
- Behind hanging wall art or wallpaper.
- It is always a good idea to pack a small flashlight!
How do you avoid bringing bed bugs home?
- Avoid placing clothing items in closets and dressers of the hotel.
- Do not place luggage on the bed, chair or luggage rack, the bathroom is considered a safe zone.
- Launder your clothing and belongings immediately. Place your luggage right in the laundry room and wash all clothing, dirty or clean and dry on the hottest setting for a minimum of an hour. Laundering will kill all life cycles of bed bugs found on clothing.
- Inspect and monitor your luggage. Inspect around steams of the luggage for signs of bed bugs and vacuum thoroughly (be sure to empty the vacuum bag).
- Monitor your sleeping areas (mattress, boxspring, headboard, and nightstand) for signs of bed bugs. Beware of bed bug bites.
We at Thomas Pest Services are licensed and trained in bed bug removal. Although there are many methods and products to control and eliminate bed bugs, Thomas Pest Services relies on bed bug heat because it is by far the most effective way to kill bed bugs in any setting. Thomas Pest Services gets rid of bed bugs in Albany, Troy, Latham, Clifton Park, Glens Falls, Lake George and surrounding areas. For questions, contact us by phone 1-877-518-2847, firstname.lastname@example.org, twitter or facebook.