5 Tips to Reduce Spiders Around Your Home◀ Back To Blog
February 18, 2014
Spiders are one of the most common pests found in homes, and are one of the most feared pests. Spiders are often found around the home, in corners of rooms, on ceilings, around baseboards and other less frequently accessed areas.
There are about 40,000 identified spider species worldwide. There are many spiders commonly found in New York, but the American house spider is the most common. American house spiders can be identified by their large, round, shiny abdomens, thin legs and the tendency to hang upside down in a messy cobweb. American house spiders range in size from 3/16 to 5/16 of an inch.
Believe it or not, spiders are beneficial to have in and around your home – they eat other insects! What a great way to get rid of other insects, naturally. Okay, we know spiders are not loved by everyone. Their unsightly cobwebs make our homes look unpleasant and dirty, so can you do to reduce spiders around your home, you ask?
- Pest Proof. Seal cracks and crevices around your home will remove avenues for spiders and other pests and rodents to access the interior of your home. Make sure windows are sealed and have proper screens is critical.
- Control other pests. Removing spider’s food source of other pests, will reduce the amount of spiders around your home. Regular pest control services will assist in this.
- Vacuum. Vacuuming regularly will remove nesting sites. Focus on the corners of rooms!
- Store items in plastic containers, instead of cardboard, which provides spiders with a harborage location.
- Landscaping. Keep debris, plantings, trash and mulch from touching your home’s structure.
These tips above, will help reduce spiders around your home, but will not eliminate spiders entirely. If your Clifton Park home is two out of three American homes with a spider problem, it’s best to let a professional exterminator handle the infestation. Thomas Pest Services is your Clifton Park and surrounding area pest control expert offering multiple types of services to effectively control rodent, ant, spider, wildlife and pest infestations. Protect your home, family and heath by contacting us for a no charge consultation today!