20 Tips to Keep Your Home Pest Free◀ Back To Blog
November 30, 2012
Thomas Pest Services is proud to protect structures, properties and families from pests that can harm your health and property. To minimize pesticide use and maintain a pest free environment, simple tips can keep your home pest free. By eliminating the necessities of food, water and shelter, pests can not survive. Take action and begin living in a pest free environment:
- Sweep up crumbs and wipe up any spills immediately using soap and water.
- Keep stored food products refrigerated or in tightly-sealed containers. Keep fruit and vegetables in refrigerator, especially when ripe.
- Frequently empty indoor garbage and recycle cans. Always make sure a garbage bag is in the garbage.
- Clean exterior and interior of ovens and hoods to prevent grease buildup.
- Watch what is brought into home. Packing materials, grocery bags and cardboard boxes can harbor pests and eggs.
- Store goods in sealed plastic containers to prevent pests harborage.
- Regularly vacuum carpets, and upholstery. Washing curtains, bed linens frequently is a good idea too!
- Maintain your pets bathing and brushing routine along with flea and tick protection.
- Repair plumbing and roof leaks to prevent pest harborage areas.
- Make sure exterior garbage and recycle cans have a tightly sealed lid.
- Avoid leaving dog or cat food outside to protect pets against wildlife - it is the perfect magnet for critters such as opossums.
- Make sure your garage door shuts all the way. If not consider a garage door sweep.
- Pest proof by sealing cracks and crevices around pipes, wires, doors, windows, vent and other openings.
- Clean gutters and drains that can harbor insects. Make sure they divert water away from the house.
- Landscaping: Trim tree branches away from house to prevent pest access.
- Stack firewood at least 15-20 ft. away from the home.
- Maintain grass levels to remove cover for pests.
- Instead of using mulch consider other materials like stone and rubber mulch.
- Change exterior light bulbs from yellow to white to reduce insect populations.
- Avoid using over the counter insecticides, which may scatter pests into new areas. DIY pest control measures can sometimes be counter effective as well.
Thomas Pest Services is a local, family owned pest management company serving Chatham, East Greenbush, Latham, Albany, Clifton Park, Schenectady, Edinburgh, Malta, Queensbury and surrounding towns. Thomas Pest Services is license and certified in pest control to effectively solve your bug or rodent issue. Protect your health, home, family and property with pest removal, contact us via phone at 1-877-518-2847, via web inquiry, Facebook or Twitter!